Contents Insurance

What is it?

Whilst building insurance will protect your actual property, it does not cover all the contents of your home. This type of cover will protect your furniture, soft furnishing, white goods and personal items.

Things to bear in mind

Damage to your property can be costly to repair, especially with a major event such as a fire or storm damage.

All lenders will insist that you have Property insurance as a condition of your mortgage so to add Contents to the required buildings insurance is normally the cheapest method of getting Contents insurance.

Things to bear in mind

The cover provided can vary and most providers will offer additional protection, at a cost, for things like:

  • Personal belongings including cash etc) inside and outside the home
  • Individual items valued over a specific amount
  • Freezer contents

These are just a few of the extras available. The basic contents cover may not provide all the cover you require and additional areas of cover can be purchased to suit your individual needs. Discounts may be available for those in a neighborhood watch scheme or for those with a burglar alarm etc.


Think carefully before securing other debts against your home. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.